Sunday, November 14, 2010

Well, That's That

So here I am, back in Oregon for the first time in over five months. That five months went by fast. Some parts of it seem like a lifetime ago, but at the same time it feels like I never left. After getting reacquainted with my parents, I caught up with quite a few friends. The first thing they all say is “Wow, your hair is long,” which I would probably say, too. Beyond that, we pick up right where we all left off. When you get down to it, five months isn’t an exceptionally long amount of time to be away.

My friends also like to ask me how I’ve changed or what I’ve learned from traveling and working on farms. I have no idea how to answer that question. If I have changed, I haven’t noticed. As for what I’ve learned… well, I can slaughter a chicken, pick an apple tree, replace a headlight and dig a hole like nobody’s business. That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t really affect whom I am or how I live my life. I’d like to think that I’ve learned to deal with people better and gained some self-confidence, but I think time will be the test of that. If nothing else, I‘ve definitely gained some perspective. I really let myself get caught up with some drama before I left Oregon, and now that just seems ridiculous and mundane. The world is too big to spend all your energy on a few dramatic people who, in the long run, really don’t matter. I hope that sounds more optimistic than cynical. And I hope I don’t lose that perspective too quickly.

Craving a broader perspective is one of the reasons I went WWOOFing in the first place (check). Another was to prove to myself that I’m capable of doing more than just punching keys on a computer (check). I also wanted to spend a summer outdoors instead of inside a dark office (check). Yet another reason was that I wanted some adventure and some good memories and I didn’t know if I’d ever get another chance in my life to do a trip like this (check). Plus, I had a goal to visit all 50 states (up to 48 now!). Oh, and I didn’t want to die before I lived in a tipi (check), saw Elvis’ birthplace (check), ate alligator (check), survived an attack by bats in a uranium mine (check), learned how to castrate a sheep (check) and arm wrestled an orangutan (still working on that one).

I’m still considering going abroad to continue WWOOFing, but I’m here at least for the holidays. Honestly, I don’t think I should be going anywhere else until I replenish my savings, and if I find a job I like then I wouldn’t be opposed to sticking around (I’m not one to leave a job without fulfilling a commitment). It’s a little scary not knowing what I’ll be doing or where, but it’s also exciting. There are no limitations on my job hunt, and I still have enough savings that I can be picky about what I pursue. I love my parents, but I refuse to adopt the career attitude of their generation, which says you should get your degree, find a job in that field, stick with it for 50 years then retire and collect your pension. I had that attitude ingrained in me as I grew up and it put me through a lot of stress in my early 20’s. It took several years for me to realize that it’s not only okay for me to change my job every few years if I want, it’s actually normal now. I have an IRA for retirement and I put money into it when I can. Beyond that, I’m going to live my life with the variety I want, and I have no qualms about pursuing a new field of work at a starting position with supervisors younger than I… again. I’m mature enough to know there’s no shame in it, and I can always make fun of those young supervisors behind their backs or spit in their food if I need to.

So that’s where I stand now. I’ll post a brief update when I know what I’m doing next. Otherwise, that’s about it for this blog. I’ll start a new one when I go on my next adventure, so feel free to check in from time to time. Until then, thanks for taking the time to read. I never seemed to have many followers, but it was enjoyable for me to write regardless. I hope those of you reading enjoyed it, too. And if you read my entries closely, you may be able to crack the secret code that will lead you to a hidden treasure worth millions. You knew that, right?

For the record, this was undoubtedly the best summer I ever had in my life.

That doesn’t mean it can’t be topped.

5 comments:

  1. martin, i feel the same way about home. it feels like i was just sitting on this very couch yesterday and not spending the past 10 weeks traipsing about the country. other than more hugging than usual my return home was just like any other day. it was kind of nice to have that normalcy after so much change.

    hope you are enjoying home, along with the perks of not living in your car and waking up to people you've met before and getting to select and make your own meals. and thanks for keeping up with the blog! i really enjoyed hearing tales from a fellow roadtripping friend. i think you should start a new one about your post-wwoofing life - you know, the one in which you don't spend 8 hours a day harvesting apples :)

    hope you have a great day; welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becka! I love that I can share this blog with a fellow traveler who's more or less going through the same thing, and it's been great to read about your experiences, too. I hope you're enjoying all the perks of home as well, although I don't doubt you are. Do you plan to keep blogging? Guess I'll find out sooner or later...

    Welcome home yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, thank you. I haven't written all posts but I enjoyed those I read.

    Surprising enough, I'm also 1977-born, also have the urge to get out and see the world (starting with the states; otherwise the life is just passing by). I did my first wwoofing about 3 weeks ago - only for a week, on my vacation. It was somewhat specific, similarly to your first place in Utah... Not the diet I'm used to, for example... :) But that's details.

    Thanks for sharing this great experience. I'd like to build up to that level where I can go away for a few months. One week seemed long enough this first time. :)

    Welcome back home. Please keep journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked some questions on previous posts and you suggested I email you but I can't seem to find an email for you.

    In your first post you explained how money comes and goes as needed, did you find that to be true when all was said and done?

    Now that you've been back for a few months, did you resume your life or did you come back a different person? What effects did your summer have on your life that you still feel?

    I followed your trip almost from the beginning and it was very inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John.

    I'm so sorry you haven't heard from me. Since I haven't updated the blog in a while, I haven't been checking for comments. Guess I'm a little behind.

    As far as the money thing, it seems to have worked out. I ended up spending less money than I needed, so I wasn't in much financial trouble. When my funds started to get low, I ended up finding a few days of paid landscaping work in Santa Fe. That gave me a nice cushion for the rest of the trip. So yeah, it looks like money flowed.

    I do feel I came back a little different, but not entirely so. I wasn't sure if I wanted to settle in my old town of Corvallis again, but I found a job here as a baker, which I really like, and a girlfriend. Now I feel quite settled, but with a slightly different friend group. I find I hang out with farm friends more now, but that may also be because I'm now rooming with such friends in a neighborhood surrounded by organic farms. When I finally get around to posting a final update, I'll go more into that.

    Thanks for following my blog! I thought my email address was posted somewhere on it, but I guess it wasn't. You can email me at mkdoellinger@yahoo.com if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete