Saturday, July 3, 2010

Things Dad Never Taught Me

After four weeks, I’ve reached the end of my stay at this farm. It’s been both a productive and educational experience. This is a list of the things I learned here that I doubt I would have learned otherwise. Sorry Dad, but this is where you really dropped the ball:
  • Never stand behind a cow.
  • Never use river rocks to build a fire pit or they’ll explode and kill you (happens more often than you’d think).
  • Two hands on the auger—no exceptions.
  • Invisible biting flies exist, and they can pass through solid objects.
  • If your tractor isn’t working then you’re not swearing at it loud enough.
  • Never offer a Mormon a beer.
  • Wear gloves when using PVC cement, especially if you plan to hold a fork later that day.
  • A donkey can take down a mountain lion.
  • Always use a blunt knife to castrate a sheep or it will bleed to death.
  • The British drink more than the French.
  • Cigarettes bad. Cigars good.
  • You can pack light and save a lot of money on laundry if you only change your clothes every other week. And if everybody around you is on the same schedule then the smell doesn’t matter.
  • Black widows can’t get stoned (for the record, I wasn’t the one who discovered this).
  • PBR has almost twice the alcohol of Miller, and the British don’t know that.
  • Velveeta is great bait for catfish, but do you really want to eat something that just ate Velveeta?
  • I will never find lasting happiness in life until I own a chainsaw.
  • And a 12-gauge shotgun.
I also learned a lot of other stuff like weeding and fixing a tractor and building irrigation pipes and farming in general, but this list sums up what I like to call the “practical” knowledge.

Heading to a Montana farm in a few days. Can’t wait to see what I learn there!

No comments:

Post a Comment