Saturday, October 9, 2010

Plans Change

If anyone is actually reading this blog, then let me end your suspense by saying that my car troubles are far from over and I am still quite stranded on the Pine Ridge reservation.

We charged the battery and put it back in this morning, but virtually all of my electrical systems were still out. The engine seems to run fine, but without taillights, brake lights, turn signals, speedometer or radiator fans. Plus, I have serious doubts that the alternator is charging the battery. Adam didn’t have much time to look at it today because he and Shannon were already planning an overnight getaway in Rapid. We checked fuses, bulbs and some basic connections this morning, but the weather put a quick end to that with a flash thunderstorm. I haven’t seen a single cloud in the sky for the two weeks I’ve been here, but today the wrath of God has landed on Wounded Knee, SD. If burning sulfur fell from the sky the day would be complete.

So I called my uncle and the old friend in Chicago whose couch I was going to surf and told them not to expect me anytime soon. Adam wants to give it another go tomorrow, although it’s starting to look like I need a repair shop that can do more advanced electrical testing. I spent a good chunk of time today analyzing the wiring charts for my car and have little to show for it. I’m still hopeful Adam can figure it out, but I’m already making plans to get to a garage early Monday morning, just in case. My best bet seems to be in Chadron, Nebraska, about 60 miles away. It also looks on the map like only three turns to get there, so keep your fingers crossed that I can make it without brake lights or turn signals and not get pulled over—again. Or worse, break down on the side of the road.

Shannon warned me that tow trucks on the res will charge about $300 since they have to travel so far, and they’ll likely ruin my transmission. Consequently, she also said my windows will most definitely get smashed if I left the car unattended on the side of the road.

Oh boy.

1 comment:

  1. From one roadtripper to another, my most sincere empathy. I'm so sorry to hear of your car troubles! My check engine light magically went off yesterday after a good 3 week run, I'll be praying for the same good fortune on your end.

    ReplyDelete