Monday, September 20, 2010

I Get Nekid

After six weeks, it was finally time to say goodbye to the orchard. Claire made sure I loaded up with plenty of apples and snacks for the road. It took me a while to pack everything into the car, but on a rainy Friday morning I finally hit the road.

I had ten days before starting at my next farm. It was tempting to stay at the orchard a bit longer, but after the long workdays, seven days a week, I was ready for a little vaca. I didn’t go very far right away, though, because my good friend Anna was having a party in Missoula on Sunday. It was a celebration of the 20th anniversary of her friendship with her best friend, and all of the friends I made at my previous farm were going to be there, so I didn’t want to miss it.

My solution for staying close was to visit the well-known Jerry Johnson hot springs just over the Idaho border. I found the place easily enough, then lucked out with an amazing (and free) campsite a few miles up the river. For the next two days, I spent my time sleeping late, staring at the river and soaking in the hot springs.

I haven’t had many hot spring experiences, but there were a few in Oregon. I learned early on that I prefer the natural hot springs to the paved pools full of screaming kids. These natural springs usually involve a hike into the woods and lots of naked people. That was a little weird for me the first time, but once I learned to let go and join the crowd the awkwardness faded fast (it also helped to realize that people in much worse shape than I weren’t ashamed of their bodies).

Jerry Johnson was the natural kind. It involved a 1.5 mile hike into the woods that led to a big, rocky clearing full of several warm and hot pools. People came and left every few minutes, and many of them had no qualms about baring all. It was a chilly weekend, so the hot soak felt great.

And yes, I got naked. Not for the picture, though:


I returned to Montana just in time for Anna’s bash. It wasn’t anything crazy—a potluck in her parents’ backyard with a few drinks and games. Later, a few more drinks and dancing. I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my last night in big sky country with my closest Montana farm friends. Oh yeah, and the party had a dress code: wear a one-piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment